Halloween is creeping around the corner, and it’s time to conjure up some wickedly fun plans to celebrate this spooktacular season! Whether you’re an adult looking for an eerie night out or a family seeking a safe and delightful adventure, Newbury has you covered, and the best part is, it’s all free!
1. Ghost Town Shop trail for Families
If you’re a family with little ghouls and goblins in tow, Newbury has a treat (and no tricks) for you. From 25 to 28 October, you can embark on the Ghost Town Shop Trail, a family-friendly Halloween adventure.
Here’s what this free event entails:
- Explore the charming shops around Bartholomew Street, each transformed into a delightfully eerie destination for children to trick or treat.
- The trail includes 10 fantastic local independent businesses, offering sweets as you hunt for Halloween posters in shop windows.
- Start your adventure at the Kennet Centre and be ready to take on the street with your little ones dressed in their Halloween best.
- Free Halloween spooky makeovers will be available at a face painting station in the Kennet Centre between 10am and 2pm.
- Don’t miss the chance to win thrilling prizes, including Lego Star Wars sets, Vue Cinema family vouchers, and a Nandos family meal voucher.
This event promises a safe and enjoyable trick-or-treating experience, allowing families to celebrate Halloween in the heart of Newbury while ensuring the safety of their children.
2. Psycho Path Pub Trail for Adults
For those of you who want to unleash your inner ghoul, Newbury has something special in store this Halloween season. The Psycho Path Pub Trail, brought to you by Visit Newbury, promises an unforgettable night of frights and delights. This immersive event takes place on Friday, 27 October, starting at 7pm in the heart of Newbury.
Here’s what you can expect:
- Five central Newbury pubs transformed into realms of horror and wonder, including popular spots like Slug & Lettuce, The Newbury, The Catherine Wheel, The Old Waggon & Horses, and The Lock Stock & Barrel.
- Skilled actors embodying beloved characters like Snow White, Belle, Jack and Sally, Alice in Wonderland, and the Mad Hatter, providing spine-tingling entertainment.
- Spooktakular scenes from famous horror movies, perfect for a selfie in each venue. Think the iconic Psycho shower scene, an electric chair reminiscent of The Green Mile, and a macabre assortment of lifelike human body parts.
- Dress to impress in your finest Halloween attire for the ultimate experience.
To make it even more tempting, there will be free shots available for those who sign up early on the Visit Newbury website (1 free shot per participant per venue). So, gather your friends, plan your spooky route, and get ready for a Halloween night out like no other!
3. Spooktakular Window Competition and Pumpkin Picking
Newbury is really getting into the Halloween spirit this year! In addition to the Ghost Town Shop Trail and the Psycho Path Pub Trail, you can also explore the town-centre businesses participating in the Spooktakular Window Competition. Watch as local shops get creative and dress up their windows to add to the Halloween festivities.
And for those of you who want to pick your own pumpkin, head over to Parkway Shopping Centre on Thursday, 26 September for their Pumpkin Patch event. It’s the perfect way to get into the autumn spirit and prepare for Halloween.
Food and Drink Ideas for Families
While you’re out and about in Newbury enjoying these Halloween activities, don’t forget to refuel! Here are some food and drink ideas for families on the day:
- Grab a Bite: Visit one of Newbury’s charming cafes or restaurants for a cozy meal You can find a list of some of the best pubs and restaurants on the Visit Newbury website.
- Picnic in the Park: Pack a spooky-themed picnic and enjoy it at a local park or green space.
- Trick or Treat Snacks: Carry some Halloween-themed snacks and treats to keep your energy up while on the Ghost Town Shop Trail.
This Halloween, Newbury is the place to be for both adults and families. With a lineup of free and thrilling events, you can celebrate this spooky season in style. Mark your calendars, dress up, and get ready for a Halloween in Newbury you won’t soon forget!